Spiced Eggplant with Ground Turkey (Paleo, GF, Dairy Free)
It's Friday here and I wanted to give you a recipe to try over the weekend! I made this for us last week and it is even better the next day for leftovers. This is a spin on eggplant shakshuka - a type of Middle Eastern dish composed of mixture of tomatoes, red bell peppers and spices and often served with eggs. Hope you enjoy!
Spiced Eggplant with Ground Turkey
(Paleo, Dairy Free, GF)
by Emmy Katz
- 3-4 medium size eggplant (or in our case, 9-10 tiny farm share nuggets)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1.5 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon of red chili flakes
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 green peppers, sliced
- 1 lb organic ground turkey
- 1 small can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- fresh ground salt and pepper
- optional topping: Kite Hill: chive almond cheese spread (or goat cheese if able to tolerate dairy)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a medium size bowl combine eggplant, olive oil, spices, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Use your hands to mix everything together. Bake the eggplant in the oven 10 minutes each side.
- Set aside the roasted eggplant in a bowl and add chopped parsley to it.
- While the eggplant is roasting heat a skillet on medium with olive oil and add the chopped onion and ground turkey with an additional few clicks of pepper and cumin. While the ground turkey is beginning to brown add in the peppers until they start to soften. Once turkey is fully cooked stir in the eggplant and parsley mixture.
- Add crushed tomatoes, coconut sugar, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar to the skillet. Let this simmer for an additional 5-7 minutes to incorporate the flavors.
- Serve warm in a bowl and top with Kite Hill Dairy Free cheese or Goat cheese.