5 Health Benefits of Blueberries
Here on the seacoast blueberry season has begun. Blueberries are Maine's signature fruit, and can be picked in the wild and at many local farms. Growing up hiking we always picked wild blueberries on the trail, coming back to our camp with blue-stained hands to bake fresh berry tarts. Today I wanted to share with you 5 health benefits of blueberries:
- Blueberries have one of the highest antioxidant capacities of all fresh fruit. This means that these little guys can help to neutralize free radicals that can affect aging and other diseases.
- They have a low GI (glycemic index) which is a method we use to measure the impact a food can have on your blood sugar levels. In general the lower the GI the lower the impact on raising blood sugar levels.
- Blueberries have been linked with lowering your risk for heart attacks! A study through Harvard School of Public Health and Harvard Medical School (which appeared in January 14, 2013 issue of the American Heart Association’s (AHA) Journal) researched the link with berry intake and heart attacks. The study found that women who eat three or more servings of blueberries and strawberries each week had a lower risk of heart attacks.
- They are power packed with vitamins and minerals. They are an excellent source of vitamin C, E, A, Copper, Vitamin B complex, along with selenium, zinc and iron all contributors to healthy immune function. And by George we all want that!
- Linked to fighting cancer: Certain research studies (including one from The Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry) have shown that anthocyanins in blueberries may help inhibit the growth of colon cancer cells.
There are so many other proposed health benefits of consuming blueberries including: decreased risk of UTI's, reducing belly fat, aiding in memory function, and enhancing mood.
Happy Friday friends: Get picking! Go to a local pick-your-own farm: sprinkle them on your oatmeal, add them into smoothies or just eat them right off the bush; all the while smiling to yourself that you are enjoying something that not only tastes delicious, but with all of the health benefits are oh-so-good for you.
Stay tuned for my next post on some yummy blueberry recipes to try. Also if you haven't heard, my private coaching program is now open! Check out the details here :)